Halloween is one of the best times of the year to have some family time. While there are so many ways to indulge in the Halloween spirit--one of our favorite is pumpkin decorating. Join us weekly as we release pumpkin painting and carving tutorials featuring our SoapSox family characters!
Today we transform one of our fan favorites, Harper the Hippo! In six easy-to-follow steps turn your ordinary pumpkin into a cute and magical addition to your Halloween decor.
SoapSox Halloween Painting Tutorial 01: Harper the Hippo
Things you will need:
- Acrylic paint
- 1" Flat paint brush
- Small round paint brush
- Bottle cap
- Black marker
- Harper the Hippo printable ears - http://i62.tinypic.com/2hnxp1i.jpg
- Step 1: Using acrylic paint and a 1" flat brush, use long strokes to cover the pumpkin in a soft purple color.
*Tip: Paint half the pumpkin first until dry before painting the other half to avoid messes.
- Step 2: Use a bottle cap as a stencil to mark where the eyes are to be filled in with black. Once complete, fill in the area using a small round paint brush. Apply as many layers needed to achieve a rich color.
- Step 3: With a black marker draw in the upper shape of the head and muzzle area.
- Step 4: Using a small round brush apply pink to hippo cheeks and white paint to create two teeth. Don't forget about painting in the white hearts in the eyes!
- Step 5: Print the Harper the Hippo printable ears. Cut the ears out from the paper and fold on the dotted line.
- Step 6: Using the 1" flat brush paint the part of the ear that will be face down on the pumpkin to use as an adhesive. Once applied, paint over the top of the ear that is face down on the pumpkin to camouflage with the purple body. That's it!
Once your pumpkin is dry, rejoice and display with pride! Tune in next week for the next SoapSox Halloween tutorial or log on to Facebook to suggest what SoapSox character you would like to see!